Sunday, April 6, 2008

Window Lurker

Talk about misconceptions.

Yesterday I'm at my bedroom window on the second floor of the house petting my cat. He looked so content to be taking in the April sunshine I had to go over and make a fuss over him. So not only am I a crazy cat lady... I'm also at my window.

Now my neighbour across the street who I only know through waves in the morning from her arriving from work at the hospital and myself off to work. That is the nature of our rapport... good morning, lovely weather blah blah blah. Congenial but not personal.

Now here I am poised at my window with one of my cats when she comes out and gets in her car. I'm frozen. I normally do NOT care what people think of me. I am together enough in my own mild craziness that it just doesn't matter but I am struck with the thought... OMG do I stand here and wave because she might have seen me and if I pull away from the window she will think I am strange, do I stand in the window but avoid eye contact and make like I'm looking in the sky (loonie), or do I wait until she backs out and if she sees me... give a little wave (crazy loonie cat lady at the window watching the neighborhood).

Sadly I chose the later and somewhat regret it. As she pulled out she looked up and I raised my hand to do the lazy wave (hey I see you but I'm not flapping my arm like a lunatic) and give a small smile. This smile I sometimes observe can be taken as a smirk (crazy) or like I've tasted something bad. My intent is to be friendly reserved.

Her look was osmewhat taken aback. Like she wasn't expecting me there... and the thought nut might visibly be seen running across her face.

Now I feel the need to seek her out the next time I'm outside doing yard work and she pulls in to explain.

"Hey sorry if it looked like I was crazy waving at you the other day" I didn't want to come off as a snob if you had seen me and I didn't wave.

I mean who cares. I should have indulged the cat and gone about my business.

Call it a weak moment of self consciousness.

Did I mention since our female had 4 kittens we now have 8 cats... yes I am well on my way to becoming the crazy cat lady. My redemption is that I'm not single...

No comments: