Sunday, April 20, 2008

Grandma was cool if not a bit evil

I'm coming across a lot of circa 1940-70s merchandise and textiles that scream Grandma. To be clear - they are screaming my Grandma who was a young grandmother (late 40s when I was born).

This may just be a running segment on here.

For example - my Grandmother was a pretty crafty and capable woman. She could sew and knit everything - which she did. She could also design and build houses but thats besides the point she was my grandma... these are some of the things she did to lovetorture me as a kid. Taste is a matter of opinion.


One Canadian Thanksgiving back in the early 1970s my grandmother was wearing an outfit roughly similar to this style. She was like Betty from the Archie comics. She would see something once and sew it from memory.
My mom and Aunt made the big mistake of making a huge fuss over the dress and how much they loved it. Maybe they were being kind and sincere, maybe they were just giving 'oh mom get a life lip service'.

Anyways I think my grandmother got the last laugh because that Christmas all of us women of the family - my mom, my aunt, and unfortunately ME. Got a similar jumper style dress given to us. To make it worse It wasn't the dress that so much jogged this little memory but the material I just came across in a textiles search.




Do you feel sorry for me... a little. Today I would be just as evil as my Grandmother (and by evil I mean God its fun to mess with your loved ones just a little) and I would have handed that jumper down to my daughter. Careful how you kiss ass ladies I think was the lesson.

This pattern was on the seat pads of my grandmothers black formieca kitchen table.
After years of use the vinyl started to break down and if you were wearing your swim suit or short shorts (hello 70's) the cracks would leave a lovely pressed pattern when you got back up.
This pyrex dish set was one of many my grandmother worked with to make pastry for pies, mashed potatoes, mashed squash, etc. Grandma and Thanksgiving meals went together for years.

Sadly this last image reminds me totally of my poor grandpa. Now remember... my Grandma did all the shopping and sewing. Tell me if she wasn't just a little bit of a joker.

No comments: